Apple and cinnamon muffins
These delicious muffins are made healthier with wholewheat flour and grated apples and carrots. The cinnamon gives them a lovely flavour – a treat that the whole family can enjoy.
Ready in1 hour
Serving sizeMakes 12 muffins
- 1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) wholewheat flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated apples
- 1 cup (250 ml) finely grated carrots
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 100 ml low-fat milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and place paper muffin cups into a 12-hole muffin pan.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Stir in apples and carrots until blended.
- Beat eggs, milk, oil and vanilla together. Stir egg mixture into the dry ingredients until just mixed through. Take care not to overmix.
- Divide batter between muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Mix 2 tsp sugar with a pinch of ground cinnamon and sprinkle on muffins before baking.
- To serve as a teatime treat, decorate muffins with a lemon icing. Mix ½ cup icing sugar with 1 tbsp lemon juice and drizzle over muffins.
- Bake as a cake in a 20 cm cake tin for 30-35 minutes. Use icing in tip 2.
- The apples can be replaced with more carrots for a carrot muffin or cake.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book