Beef stew with vegetables
We all enjoy a mouth-watering stew on a cold day. This is a simple, yet flavourful stew, with a combination of cabbage and carrots. Remember to remove all the visible fat from the meat, to keep it healthier.
Ready in2 hours 30 mins
Serving sizeServes 6
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 kg beef stewing meat with bones, all fat removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- ½ cup (125 ml) Homemade stock or water with 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ medium cabbage, cut in thick strips
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- Heat half the oil in a large pot and fry meat in batches until golden brown. Spoon out and set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the same pot. Fry onion, potatoes and carrots with coriander and bay leaf for a few minutes.
- Add water, stock and meat and simmer with a lid for 1½ hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add cabbage and simmer with a lid for another 15 minutes. Stir in salt.
- Season with lemon juice and black pepper and stir in parsley.
- Serve with small portions of pap or mashed potatoes.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book