Brown rice and tuna salad
Instead of a rich mayonnaise dressing, try this rice salad with a homemade dressing.
Ready in1 hour
Serving sizeServes 4 – 6
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown rice
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- 1 x 170 g tin tuna in brine, drained
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- ½ cucumber, halved and sliced
- ½ cup (125 ml) frozen whole kernel corn, rinsed
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh mint or origanum
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sunflower or olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white grape vinegar
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- Salad: Place rice and salt in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain, rinse and allow to cool.
- Dressing: Mix ingredients in a bowl until well blended.
- Stir tuna, veggies and herbs into the rice with the dressing.
- Serve as a light meal or lunch.
- Replace tuna with leftover chicken.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book