Instead of a typical puff pastry, chicken pie can be just as delicious with a homemade pouring batter on top.
Ready in2 hours 30 mins
Serving sizeServes 6
- 6 chicken breasts on the bone, skin and all fat removed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 black peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- 1½ cups (375 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sago or spaghetti (broken into pieces)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried thyme or rosemary
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1½ cups (375 ml) frozen mixed vegetables, rinsed
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Pouring batter
- ¾ cup (180 ml) wholewheat flour
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried mixed herbs
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- Filling: Place chicken, bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves, salt and water in a large pot. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Spoon chicken out and remove bones. Keep liquid aside and remove spices, if preferred.
- Heat oil in the same pot and fry onions and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add reserved liquid with sago and simmer over a low heat for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in thyme, nutmeg, chicken and veggies and season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Spoon into an oven dish and preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Pouring batter: Combine the dry ingredients. Mix the eggs, oil, buttermilk and water. Stir into the flour mixture until smooth.
- Pour batter over the filling and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve with salad or veggies such as broccoli and butternut.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book