Swap your Chinese takeaways for this delicious home version, which is less fatty and salty, and quick to make.
Ready in1 hour 20 mins
Serving sizeServes 6
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grape vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) tomato sauce
- 4 chicken breast fillets, cut in strips
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green or red pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3 carrots, cut in thin strips
- 2-3 baby marrows, cut in thin strips
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen whole kernel corn, rinsed
- 1 cup (250 ml) shredded cabbage
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- black pepper to taste
- Mix the first 4 ingredients and stir chicken into the mixture. Marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and stir-fry chicken pieces in batches and spoon out. Keep the marinade.
- Fry onion, green pepper and ginger for a few minutes.
- Add carrots and baby marrows. Fry until the veggies are almost cooked, but not too soft.
- Stir corn, cabbage and chicken with the marinade into the veggies. Add water and cover with a lid. Allow to simmer for a few minutes or until the cabbage is just cooked.
- Season with pepper. Serve immediately with small portions of brown rice or spaghetti.
- Pineapple or broccoli is also delicious in a stir-fry. Add unsalted peanuts for an extra crunch.
- Vegetarian stir-fry: Substitute chicken with a tin of beans of your choice and add the marinade to the fried veggies.
- Use leftover chicken and add in step 5 with the marinade. Also try it with lean strips of pork or beef.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book