Crunchy apple slaw
Apples are in season and definitely not only a snack. The natural sweetness of apples is perfect to cook with and ideal to add to fresh ingredients for a winter salad.
Ready in45 mins
Serving sizeServes 6 - 8
- 100 g broccoli, cut into thin florets
- ½ cup (125 ml) each finely shredded red and white cabbage
- 10 cm piece cucumber, cut into thin sticks
- 1 celery stalk, cut into thin diagonal slices
- 2 pink or red apples with the skin, cut into thin sticks
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sesame seeds, toasted (see tips)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 ml) wholegrain mustard
- black pepper to taste
Salad and salad dressing:
- Salad: Place broccoli in a shallow dish and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for 3-5 minutes until just cooked, but still crunchy. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain well.
- Mix all the salad ingredients, except the sesame seeds, in a large mixing bowl.
- Salad dressing: Mix all the ingredients together and season with pepper.
- Toss some of the salad dressing into the salad and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with the rest of the salad dressing as a healthy side dish.
- Add cooked chicken or meat to the salad for a light meal. Chickpeas will also be delicious.
- To toast sesame seeds, place in a dry pan over a medium heat. Toast until golden brown, tossing the pan once or twice to mix through. Take care not to burn them.
- Substitute sesame seeds with sunflower or pumpkin seeds, if preferred. Cashews nuts or dried cranberries will also be delicious.