Green salad with chicken
A delicious salad for a light meal, packed with nutrition, fibre and lots of flavour. The way that the chicken is prepared ensures juicy chicken every time and the dressing is equally good with the chicken and green veggies.
Ready in1 hour
Serving sizeServes 4 – 6
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sunflower or olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts on the bone, skin removed
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) rooibos tea
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tbsp (7,5 ml) prepared mild mustard
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice or white grape vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar or honey
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sunflower or olive oil
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) dried origanum
- black pepper to taste
- 100 g broccoli, cut in florets or thin green beans, halved
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen peas, rinsed
- ¼ cucumber, halved and sliced
- large handful mixed lettuce leaves
- Chicken: Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry chicken on both sides until golden brown.
- Reduce heat, add tea and bay leaf. Cover with a lid. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until just cooked. Spoon out and allow to cool. (Freeze the pan juices and use as a stock for another meal.) Remove the bones from the chicken and shred the meat.
- Salad: Mix mustard, lemon juice, sugar, oil and origanum and season with pepper. Pour some of this mixture over the chicken to marinade the cooked meat.
- Pour boiling water over the broccoli or beans and peas. Allow to stand for 7-10 minutes or until cooked. Drain and repeat if necessary. Rinse well to cool.
- Toss the cooked veggies and chicken with cucumber and lettuce and serve with the remaining dressing. If you are packing into a lunch box, keep the lettuce and extra salad dressing separate until you are ready to eat. Enjoy with leftover cooked veggies such as butternut, sweet potato or corn or a slice of wholewheat bread.
- Although dried herbs are convenient, fresh herbs like origanum, rosemary and thyme will be delicious in this salad.
- Use this method to cook chicken for any dish. It is easy and the chicken stays juicy.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 2nd edition: Breakfast, Lunch and snacks
Download the recipe book