Jacket sweet potatoes with cottage cheese
As delicious as traditional baked potatoes and sour cream – but without the guilt. Sweet potatoes are a better carb choice and the onions add a sweet flavour!
Ready in1 hour 30 mins
Serving sizeServes 6
- 4 tsp (20 ml) olive or canola oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- 4 tsp (20 ml) finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 small chilli, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 6-8 (700-900 g) small sweet potatoes, in the skin
- black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup (180 ml) plain smooth low-fat cottage cheese
- handful fresh coriander leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C.
- Mix oil, lemon juice, water, ginger, chilli and garlic in a large bowl. Add onions and sweet potatoes and toss to coat the veggies. Season with pepper.
- Place in an oven dish, with all the liquid and seasonings. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Stir onions with the pan juices into the cottage cheese. Cut a deep slit into each sweet potato and fill with about 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the mixture. Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve with grilled or roasted fish, chicken or pork and fill your plate with any green veggies, lightly cooked and seasoned with lemon juice and black pepper. A green salad will also be delicious.
- To make wedges: Cut sweet potatoes into wedges and coat in oil mixture as above. Roast for just 30 minutes and serve with the sauce as a dip.
- Add fresh grated lemon rind to the cottage cheese for more flavour.
Nutritional information per portion
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 3rd edition: Diabetes
Download the recipe book