Lemony brown rice
Brown rice has a delicious nutty flavour and is a much better carb choice as it has a slower release of energy and contains fibre. The lemony flavour makes it interesting and versatile to serve in different ways.
Ready in40 mins
Serving sizeServes 4
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown rice
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- Peel off 4 strips of lemon rind with a vegetable peeler, take care not to peel any white pith with it.
- Squeeze out lemon juice and add with the rind, rice and salt to a pot with about 2½ cups (625 ml) water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 20-25 minutes or until cooked. Drain well. Stir in the parsley and serve immediately.
- Serve a stew, mince dish or casserole on this rice instead of plain white rice. It is also great with a portion of fish or chicken. Another starch is not necessary, so fill your plate with non-starchy low-carb vegetables or a salad.
- Allow the rice to cool down completely and use as a base for a rice salad. Add any salad ingredients of your choice or add cooked chicken or lentils to make this a light meal.
- Add peas or spinach to the rice or sprinkle toasted sunflower seeds over before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
How many portions?
It is easy to cook brown rice for a family. Just remember: for every 1 cup of rice, you need 2½ cups of water. This will make enough rice for four portions.
3 ways with leftover rice
There are so many things you can do with leftover rice! By adding a few basic ingredients, you can turn everyday rice from last night’s supper into a side dish, a chicken meal or even a vegetarian meal.
All the ways with lemon
Lemon is so versatile, look at all the different ways you can use it.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 3rd edition: Diabetes
Download the recipe book