Lentils and rice
Brown rice and lentils are a perfect combination. Together they form a complete protein, making this a wholesome meal.
Ready in1 hour
Serving sizeServes 4 – 6
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried mixed herbs
- 1 bay leaf and 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown lentils
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- Heat oil in a pot and fry onions, garlic, carrots and green pepper for a few minutes.
- Add cumin, dried herbs, bay leaf and cinnamon with the lentils, rice, water and salt.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 30-40 minutes or until the rice and lentils are tender. Add another ½ cup of water if necessary.
- Season lemon juice and pepper. Stir in the fresh herbs and serve warm.
A complete vegetarian protein
Brown lentils and brown rice form a complete protein when cooked together – making this recipe a wholesome vegetarian meal.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book