This mushroom soup is a family favourite and is perfect for a special occasion. The homemade stock is delicious and contains no added salt.
Ready in1 hour
Serving sizeServes 4
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 500 g mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) curry powder or to taste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cake flour
- 4 cups (1 litre) Homemade stock or water with 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat milk
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley or thyme
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add mushrooms and curry powder and fry until golden brown.
- Stir in the flour until well blended.
- Add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the milk. Season with lemon juice and pepper and stir in parsley.
- Serve soup on its own or with 1-2 slices of brown or wholewheat bread per person as a main meal.
- If you prefer, this soup can be blended or liquidised.
- Broccoli soup: Replace the mushrooms with broccoli and simmer until the broccoli is tender, but still bright green in colour. Serve as above.
- Budget tip: Substitute half of the mushrooms with 2-3 potatoes, chopped.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book