Spicy peanut rice with eggs
Peanuts are typically enjoyed as a quick snack, but there are many different types of cuisines that use peanuts as a prominent ingredient. This combination of peanuts, spices and aromatic rice is really fragrant.
Ready in1 hr
Serving sizeServes 4 - 6
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 small cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 tsp (20 ml) paprika
- 4 tsp (20 ml) ground cumin
- 4 tsp (20 ml) ground coriander
- 1-2 small red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 200 g unsalted peanuts, crushed and chopped (see tips)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) finely grated lime or lemon rind
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime or lemon juice
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) olive or avocado oil
- 3-4 tsp (15-20 ml) olive or avocado oil
- 8 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 ml) uncooked brown basmati rice
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- 1,2 litres water
- 50 g unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 6-8 eggs, fried in very little oil
- freshly ground black pepper and more lime or lemon juice to taste
- lime or lemon wedges for serving
- Peanut paste: Mix all the ingredients together to form a chunky paste.
- Rice: Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil in a wide, deep saucepan over medium heat. Fry 125 ml (½ cup) of the paste for a few minutes or until just aromatic.
- Add half of the spring onions and sauté for a few minutes. Add rice and remaining oil and fry until well coated in the peanut paste.
- Add salt and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 30 – 35 minutes or until the rice is just cooked but not too soft.
- Meanwhile, toast the 50 g peanuts in a dry frying pan until golden brown. Prepare the eggs according to your preference (fried suggested).
- Season the rice to taste with pepper and lime or lemon juice.
- Serve rice topped with fried eggs, toasted peanuts, the remaining peanut paste and lime wedges. Sprinkle with the rest of the spring onions.
- To crush peanuts, press down on them with the blade of a large knife, then chop coarsely.
- If preferred, the peanut paste can be prepared in a pestle and mortar. It will have a slightly finer texture.
- Prepare double the peanut paste to enjoy with any egg dish, grilled meat or roasted vegetables. Refrigerate until needed.
- If unsalted peanuts are not available, use salted peanuts. Take care when seasoning, and rather use less or no salt instead.
- Coriander leaves will be delicious to garnish this dish.