Whole roasted peri-peri chicken
A roast chicken is often served as a Sunday lunch and is always popular. Remember that peri-peri is quite hot, so season it to your family’s preference. Or use more paprika instead of the peri-peri for a milder flavour.
Ready in1 hour 30 mins
Serving sizeServes 4 – 6
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10 ml) peri-peri or to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
- 1,2 kg whole chicken, skin and all fat removed
- 6 potatoes, quartered
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Mix the oil with all the seasonings, except the salt. Spread some of this paste over the chicken.
- Place chicken in a large oven dish.
- Toss the potatoes with the remaining paste and place in the oven dish around the chicken.
- Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pour the water into the oven dish. Cover with foil and roast chicken and potatoes for 30 minutes. Remove foil, toss potatoes in liquid and roast for another 30 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve with green veggies or a salad.
- The chicken bones can be used for the Homemade stock.
- Lemon and herb chicken: Use the seasonings for the Lemon chicken to prepare a lemon and herb roasted chicken.
- Use more paprika instead of the peri-peri for a milder flavour.
- If your oven is big enough, double the recipe and make 2 chickens. Use the other chicken for another meal.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book