Brown rice and lentils with green veggies
Equal quantities of brown rice and lentils cooked together makes a complete protein – great as a vegetarian option.
Ready in1 hour
Serving sizeServes 4 as a meal or 6 – 8 as a side dish
- ½ cup (125 ml) uncooked brown lentils
- ½ cup (125 ml) uncooked brown rice
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) dried origanum
- 2 strips lemon rind, made with a vegetable peeler
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- 100-150 g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen peas, rinsed
- 1 large spinach leaf, shredded
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive or canola oil
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh mint or origanum
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) sunflower seeds or raw, chopped almonds
- Place lentils, rice, origanum, lemon rind and salt in a pot with 2½ cups (625 ml) cold water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 25-30 minutes or until cooked, but not too soft. Drain well (see tips).
- Place broccoli in a shallow dish and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for about 10-15 minutes or until just cooked, and drain well. Or simmer gently in a small amount of water until bright green, still crunchy and not overcooked.
- Stir broccoli, peas, spinach and oil into the rice and lentils. Season with lemon juice and pepper. Stir herbs and sunflower seeds or nuts into rice mixture.
- Serve warm or at room temperature as a vegetarian meal or starchy side.
- To serve at room temperature, rinse cooked lentils and rice with cold water to keep it loose and fluffy, before adding the other ingredients.
- Any leftover brown rice and lentils can be enjoyed as a light meal the next day. Or make it a non-vegetarian meal, by adding leftover cooked chicken or braaied meat.
- Serve with 1 slice feta, crumbled or dollops of plain low-fat cottage cheese.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 4th edition: Braai
Download the recipe book