Butternut and chickpea salad
A flavourful way to add colour and variety to your plate is to roast butternut with aromatic spices.
Ready in1 hour 30 mins
Serving sizeServes 4
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried origanum
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) curry powder
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive or canola oil
- ¼ tsp (1,2 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) water
- 500 g butternut, peeled and cubed
- black pepper to taste
- 1 x 410 g tin chickpeas, drained
- 4 small spinach leaves or 2 handfuls lettuce leaves, roughly torn
- Preheat oven to 180 ˚C. Place spices, half the oil, salt, lemon juice, water and butternut in a large bowl and mix well.
- Season with black pepper and place in an oven dish. Roast for 30 minutes or until butternut is tender. Allow to cool. Stir in chickpeas.
- Spoon onto spinach or lettuce and drizzle with remaining oil. Enjoy as a salad.
- Serve with oven-baked or roasted fish, chicken or meat. Fill your plate with green veggies, fruit or a tomato salad.
- Add crumble 1 slice of feta over the salad for more flavour, but omit the salt.
- For added texture, serve salad with pumpkin seeds.
- The spinach can be stirred into the hot butternut to soften the leaves a little. Serve as above.
- Add any fresh ingredients of your choice like tomatoes, cucumber or green beans to the salad.
Nutritional information per portion
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 3rd edition: Diabetes
Download the recipe book