Cabbage can be enjoyed raw or cooked. In this recipe it is pan-fried with apple and mustard – a wonderful side dish. Take care not to overcook the cabbage, it is delicious with a bit of a crunch to it.
Ready in35 mins
Serving sizeServes 6
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple with the skin, grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mild or wholegrain mustard
- 4 large spinach leaves, thinly sliced
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry onion until soft. Add cabbage and apple. Fry gently until soft, but not mushy.
- Add mustard and spinach and fry for about 1 minute.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper and serve immediately.
- Serve with mince, chicken or pork dishes and a small portion of starch. Fill your plate with orange, yellow or red salad ingredients and veggies to enjoy a balanced meal.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the cabbage for an extra crunch.
Nutritional information per portion
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 3rd edition: Diabetes
Download the recipe book