Cabbage can be enjoyed raw or cooked. In this recipe it is pan-fried with apple and mustard – a wonderful side dish. Take care not to overcook the cabbage, it is delicious with a bit of a crunch to it.
Ready in35 mins
Serving sizeServes 6
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 apple with the skin, grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mild or wholegrain mustard
- 4 large spinach leaves, thinly sliced
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry onion until soft. Add cabbage and apple. Fry gently until soft, but not mushy.
- Add mustard and spinach and fry for about 1 minute.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper and serve immediately.
- Serve with mince, chicken or pork dishes and a small portion of starch. Fill your plate with orange, yellow or red salad ingredients and veggies to enjoy a balanced meal.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the cabbage for an extra crunch.
Nutritional information per portion
Wholesome and delicious, make this side dish today.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 3rd edition: Diabetes
Download the recipe book