The spices and apple add delicious flavours to the soup and the potatoes give it a creamy texture.
Ready in1 hour
Serving sizeServes 6
- 1 large (1 kg) butternut, peeled and chopped
- 2 large potatoes, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
- 7 cups (1,75 litres) boiling water
- ½ cup (125 ml) low-fat milk
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Place veggies, apple and spices in a large pot with the water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Remove from the heat, blend mixture until smooth or mash with a potato masher.
- Return mixture to the pot and add milk, lemon juice and pepper.
- Heat through and serve warm.
- This soup freezes well if liquidised. Make double and freeze for another day.
- Cauliflower soup: Replace the butternut with 400 g cauliflower and another 2 potatoes. Cook as above (see video below.)
- Sweet potato can be used instead of the potatoes. The butternut can also be replaced with sweet potato for a sweet potato soup.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book