Vegetable soup with mince
The dried soup mix in this recipe is made up of dried lentils, barley and split peas. These bulk up the soup, while the mince gives it a delicious meaty flavour. A nutritious soup to feed many mouths.
Ready in2 hours 45 mins
Serving sizeServes 8 – 10
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 250 g lean beef mince
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) paprika
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 4 carrots, grated
- 3 celery stalks with leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 cups (1 litre) Homemade stock or water with 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 8 cups (2 litres) water
- ½ x 500 g packet dried soup mix
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) garam masala
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat half the oil in a large pot and fry mince until golden brown. Spoon mince out and drain off any excess fat.
- Add rest of the oil and fry onion and garlic in the same pot with paprika, coriander and herbs.
- Add mince and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except the garam masala, lemon juice and pepper. Stir well.
- Simmer, with a lid, over a low heat for about 2 hours or until the soup mix is cooked and the soup is thick. Stir every now and then.
- Add the remaining ingredients and serve warm.
- Enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day, or freeze for another meal.
- Pea soup: Replace soup mix with dried split peas.
- Stir in thinly shredded cabbage or spinach at the end of the cooking time.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book