Spicy red lentil and vegetable soup
Remember that red lentils cook in 20 minutes, making this a quick soup to prepare.
Ready in1 hour 15 mins
Serving sizeServes 6 – 8
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
- 4 tsp (20 ml) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) curry powder or to taste
- 8 cups (2 litres) water
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked red lentils
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 potatoes, grated
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onions, ginger and spices.
- Add water, lentils, carrots and potatoes.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Add tomatoes, herbs and salt and heat through.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper and remember not to add extra salt at the table.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book