Thanks to chutney being a true South African ingredient, everyone has a variation of this recipe. To make it lower in fat, but still yummy, yoghurt is used instead of mayonnaise.
Ready in1 hour 15 mins
Serving sizeServes 4 – 6
- 6-8 chicken portions e.g. drumsticks and thighs, skin and all fat removed
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt
- ½ cup (125 ml) chutney
- ½ cup (125 ml) orange juice or rooibos tea
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cornflour, mixed with water to make a paste
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Place chicken and onion in an oven dish.
- Mix yoghurt, chutney, juice, salt and cornflour paste and pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve with small portions of brown rice or mashed potatoes and broccoli and carrots.
- Pork chops with all fat removed, can be cooked in the same way. Add cubes of butternut to the oven dish for extra flavour.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book