Creamy fish spread
A versatile spread to enjoy with veggies, on bread or in a sandwich.
Ready in20 mins
Serving sizeServes 6 (500 ml)
- 1 x 420 g tin pilchards in tomato sauce, drained, but keep the sauce
- 125 g plain low-fat cottage cheese
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dried origanum
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- black pepper to taste
- Place fish in a large bowl and mash with a fork until fine. Stir in the remaining ingredients and season to taste with pepper. Add some of the drained tomato sauce to taste, but take care not to add too much as it may become too runny.
- Spread on 2 slices of wholewheat or brown bread. Add avocado when in season or tomato and lettuce for a tasty sandwich. Serve with fresh fruit, if preferred. It is also great as a dip with veggies.
- Place the spread in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- If preferred, blend the mixture with a stick blender for a smoother spread.
- If there is any leftover tomato sauce from the tin, it can be frozen and added to any tomato and fish dish, such as a pasta sauce, for extra flavour.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 2nd edition: Breakfast, Lunch and snacks
Download the recipe book