Crunchy lentil salad
This lentil salad is so simple and will soon be a family favourite. The crunchy texture of the fresh ingredients makes a versatile side dish or light vegetarian meal.
Ready in1 hour
Serving sizeServes 4
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown lentils
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried origanum
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower or olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) sugar
- black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh chopped parsley
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 3 large spinach leaves, shredded
- Place lentils, half the salt and half the origanum with 3 cups (750 ml) water in a pot. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until just cooked.
- Drain lentils, rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Meanwhile, make the salad dressing. Mix remaining salt and origanum with the oil, vinegar and sugar and season with pepper.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the cold lentils and mix well. Add the dressing just before serving. Pack with some extra fruit for a filling meal.
- This salad will also be perfect for a side dish at a braai.
- Avocado will be great in this salad. When in season, cut in cubes and add at the end.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 2nd edition: Breakfast, Lunch and snacks
Download the recipe book