Easy bean salad
This bean salad is a wonderful source of all three of the important DASH micronutrients: magnesium, potassium and calcium. Tuck into this vibrant side dish or have it as a light vegetarian meal.
Ready in1 hour
Serving sizeServes 4 as a meal or 6 as a side dish
- 100 g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 x 410 g tin butter beans or any other white bean, drained (see tip)
- 1 x 400 g tin red kidney or black beans, drained
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into thin wedges and then halved
- 1 slice feta, cubed
- fresh origanum, Italian parsley and thin strips of lemon rind to garnish
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar or orange juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 4 tsp (20 ml) chopped fresh origanum
- 5 tsp (25 ml) chopped fresh mint
- Black pepper to taste
- Salad: Place broccoli in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes or until just cooked, but still bright green. Rinse broccoli in a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process. Drain well and pat dry with paper towel.
- Dressing: Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl or jug and season to taste.
- Gently toss all the salad ingredients with half of the dressing in a large mixing bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Mix in the remaining dressing, garnish with extra herbs and lemon rind. Serve immediately.
- When in season, add one avocado, cubed.
- Keep the butter bean liquid and freeze, to use as stock for stews and soups.
Easy bean salad dressing as a marinade
Make this dressing and use it as a marinade. Toss it over your favourite veggies and roast to perfection - yummy!
Know your beans ...
This recipe is from the Dash Edition
Download the recipe book