Mealie meal and corn bake
Mealie meal is a popular ingredient in sunny South Africa. Many people don’t enjoy it prepared as ‘pap’ with a braai, but this oven-baked version has proven to be popular with everyone.
Ready in1 hour 30 mins
Serving sizeServes 6 – 8
- 3 cups (750 ml) coarse mealie meal
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1½ cups (375 ml) low-fat milk
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 x 410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup (60 ml) coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 corn on the cob, kernels cut from the cob or ½ cup (125 ml) frozen whole kernel corn, rinsed
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Place the mealie meal, water, milk, salt, oil and sweetcorn in a large mixing bowl. Stir well so that no dry meal is visible.
- Lightly grease a 20 x 27 cm oven dish with oil and spoon mealie meal mixture into dish.
- Arrange onion on mealie meal. Mix parsley, cheese and corn and sprinkle evenly over onions.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the mealie meal is cooked through. Serve hot.
- Serve with the Barbecue sauce.
- Bake the mealie meal mixture without the onion and cheese mixture, until cooked. Mix 1 x 410 g tin onion and tomato mix with the parsley and onion wedges. Spoon onto cooked mealie meal bake, sprinkle with cheese and corn, and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tomato layer is heated through. Serve immediately.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 4th edition: Braai
Download the recipe book