Nut & seed sprinkle
A basic green salad or tray of roasted veggies are turned into a feast with this sprinkle. The combination of spices with the crunchy texture of the roasted nuts and seeds adds lots of flavour to a variety of dishes. Nuts and seeds are known as good sources of healthy fats, so make them a part of your meals in different ways.
Ready in40 mins plus cooling time
Serving sizeMakes about 500ml
- ¾ cup (180 ml) coarsely chopped raw almonds
- ½ cup (125 ml) raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup (125 ml) raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup (125 ml) raw sesame seeds
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) dried thyme
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1,2 ml) ground mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Line a medium baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix nuts and seeds together and place on the baking tray. Spread into an even layer and roast for 10-15 minutes or until just golden brown. Check after 10 minutes and stir through. Take care not to burn them as this can happen quite quickly.
- Remove from the oven and mix the herbs and spices into the hot nut and seed mixture. Allow to cool and store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Enjoy the sprinkle over salads, roasted veggies, chicken portions and even avocado. It is delicious as a dip with bread and olive oil and combines well with many different foods
- Any combination of nuts and seeds will work well. Make sure you stick to a ratio of ¾ cup (180 ml) nuts to 1½ cups (375 ml) seeds, or about 2 cups (500 ml) in total so that the spices are balanced.
- Spoon over oats or yoghurt as a delicious breakfast sprinkle. It also works well sprinkled over fresh fruit. Try it over the Berry & cinnamon oat bowls.