One-pot chilli pilchards
Save on dishes and prepare this easy one-pot supper. Keep the pilchard bones in the mixture, they’re soft enough to eat, and add a boost of calcium.
Ready in1 hour
Serving sizeServes 6
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, whole, or chopped if preferred
- 1 tsp (5 ml) mild curry powder, or more to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
- 2 cups (500 ml) strong Rooibos tea
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked red lentils
- 1 x 50 g (50 ml) sachet tomato paste
- 1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g tin pilchards in tomato sauce
- 1 x 400 g tin red kidney beans, drained
- black pepper to taste
- fresh Italian parsley or coriander leaves and lemon wedges to serve
- Heat oil over medium temperature in a large saucepan and fry onions and carrot until soft. Stir in garlic, chilli, spices and herbs and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add Rooibos tea and lentils and simmer, with a lid, for 10-12 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Stir in tomato paste and chopped tomatoes. Add pilchards in tomato sauce, with the bones and gently flake fish into chunks. Stir through gently and add beans.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Season with pepper to taste and serve with fresh herbs and lemon wedges.
- Replace pilchards with any fish of your choice, like tinned tuna or mackerel or even leftover white fish.
- Substitute the red lentils for brown lentils and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
This recipe is from the Dash Edition
Download the recipe book