Chicken à la king
This is a healthier version of a family favourite. The chicken is cooked in natural seasonings to make its own ‘stock’ which gives the dish a delicious flavour – no need for unhealthy soup powders or ready-made sauces here!
Ready in2 hours
Serving sizeServes 4 – 6
- 1,2 kg whole chicken, skin and all fat removed
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 each green and red pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cake flour
- ½ cup (125 ml) low-fat milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried parsley
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried thyme or 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a large pot with water and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
- Simmer with a lid for 1 hour. Spoon out chicken, remove bones and shred meat. Keep liquid aside.
- Heat oil in the same pot and fry onion, garlic, green and red peppers and mushrooms.
- Stir in flour until absorbed. Gradually stir in cooking liquid and milk.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens. Stir in chicken, herbs, salt and season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Serve with small portions of brown rice and veggies of your choice.
- If mushrooms are not available substitute with 1 cup of frozen peas, rinsed.
- Beef stroganoff: Replace cooked chicken with 500 g lean beef strips. Fry the meat first and then continue as from step 3. Prepare the sauce with 1½ cups of milk as you will not have any cooking liquid.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book