Snoek with apricot jam
Snoek is delicious with a touch of sweetness and a mild spice like cumin. Try it in the oven or braai it outside.
Ready in45 mins
Serving sizeServes 6
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chutney
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) apricot jam
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1,2 kg whole fresh snoek or line fish, head removed and butterflied
- Mix chutney, jam, cumin, lemon juice, half the oil and salt. Season with pepper.
- Brush a braai grid with the rest of the oil and place fish, with the skin side on the grid.
- Brush fish with jam mixture. Braai for 15-20 minutes over medium coals with the skin side down.
- Turn over and brown for a few minutes or until the fish flakes easily. Take care not to burn or overcook the fish.
- Serve with baked sweet potato and a green salad.
- To bake in the oven, brush a large piece of foil with half the oil. Place fish on foil in an oven dish and brush fish as above. Bake at 180 °C for 20 minutes or until cooked. The top of the fish will brown in the oven.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book