Rusks are delicious with a cup of tea or for a coffee break. The oats, bran and seeds add extra texture to this South African treat.
Ready in1 hour 30 mins, plus drying time overnight
Serving sizeMakes about 100 rusks
- 1 cup (250 ml) bran
- 6 cups (6 x 250 ml) cake flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) oats
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) baking powder
- ¾ cup (180 ml) sugar
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) sunflower or other seeds (optional)
- 1 cup (250 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk or low-fat maas
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Lightly grease and line 2 x 20 cm cake tins or a large oven dish.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Rub oil into the dry ingredients with your fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Beat water, eggs and buttermilk. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon into baking tins. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the tins and cool. Slice into rusks and place on a baking tray.
- Heat oven to 100 °C and dry rusks out for 6-8 hours or overnight. Cool and pack in an airtight container.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book