Homemade scones are such a treat and this version is easy to make. The wholewheat flour adds a slightly nutty flavour and the yoghurt gives them a soft, light texture.
Ready in45 mins
Serving sizeMakes 12 small scones
- 1 cup (250 ml) wholewheat flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup (250 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sunflower oil
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Lightly grease a baking tray and dust with a little cake flour.
- Mix flours and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Beat egg, yoghurt and oil together.
- Stir egg mixture into the flour until it just forms a soft dough.
- Gently press dough out onto a lightly floured surface to about 2 cm thick. Take care not to handle the dough too much.
- Cut out scones using a small cookie cutter or water glass. Dip the cutter or glass in extra flour if necessary.
- Place scones on baking tray. The leftover dough can be pressed together and cut into more scones.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve with a thin layer of margarine and jam.
- A pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika can be sprinkled on top for a savoury scone.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book