Buttermilk and cheese bread
Many people know a recipe for a buttermilk bread using soup powder, but is very salty. This version works equally well and goes perfectly with a braai.
Ready in1 hour 15 mins
Serving sizeMakes 1 loaf
- 3 cups (750 ml) cake flour
- ¼ cup (60 ml) bran
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs or chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and lightly grease a 1,5 litre bread tin.
- Mix all ingredients together, but keep half the cheese aside.
- Spoon mixture into bread tin. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Savoury muffins: Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cups. Spoon mixture into cups and bake for 15-20 minutes. These make a delicious lunch box snack.
- Add any herbs or seasonings of your choice, like chopped onion. Sprinkle with paprika or cayenne pepper and bake as above.
- Pot bread: Grease a cast-iron pot and bake bread over medium coals.
- This makes delicious toast the next day.
All you need to prepare this recipe
With just a few basic ingredients, you can prepare this delicious homemade bread. It is great as a side dish at a braai or for the tastiest sarmies.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book