Spicy pilchard stew
Some people call this a pilchard stew and others know it as a smorrie or smoortjie. It doesn’t matter what you call it, you will enjoy this tasty meal.
Ready in45 mins
Serving sizeServes 4
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies or to taste, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) curry powder or to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 x 425 g tin pilchards in tomato sauce
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) sugar or apricot jam
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry onion and garlic.
- Add chillies, curry powder and cumin and fry for a few minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, pilchards with the sauce, sugar and salt. Simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Season with lemon juice and black pepper. Serve with a small portion of brown rice.
- Try this stew with a pasta of your choice. Pap or samp is also delicious.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book