Roasted cauliflower, sweet potato and chickpeas
Roasting veggies is a wonderful way to bring out their natural flavour or sweetness, as with the sweet potato. Both cauliflower and chickpeas have a lovely nutty taste when roasted and the yoghurt seasoned with cumin is the perfect accompaniment for this vegetarian meal or starchy side dish.
Ready in1 hour 30 mins
Serving sizeServes 4 as a meal or 6 as a side dish
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive or canola oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- large pinch of ground cloves
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes in the skin, halved and cut into thick wedges
- 2 onions, halved and cut into thin wedges
- 500 g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 x 400 g tin chickpeas or white beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) raw, unsalted almonds or peanuts
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- 1 cup (250 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt
- extra ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Mix 3 tbsp (45 ml) of the oil with the lemon juice, water and spices in a large bowl. Toss sweet potato and onions through oil mixture.
- Spoon sweet potato and onions in a single layer into a large oven proof dish. Roast for 30 minutes or until almost tender.
- Toss cauliflower, chickpeas or beans and nuts in the remaining oil mixture and add to sweet potato in the oven dish. Mix through and add any remaining oil mixture from the bowl.
- Roast for another 10 minutes or until the veggies are just cooked and the chickpeas or beans are slightly roasted.
- Stir 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the herbs and remaining oil into the veggie mixture. Season the yoghurt with the rest of the herbs and extra cumin.
- Serve veggies warm or at room temperature with spoonfuls of the yoghurt.
1. The seasoned yoghurt is delicious with any other veggie dish or with the Carrot and bean patties.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 4th edition: Braai
Download the recipe book