These fritters are a delicious treat to serve as a side dish with your next meal – the kids will beg for more. The wholewheat flour in the batter also makes it nutritious and filling.
Ready in45 mins
Serving sizeMakes 30 small fritters
- ½ x 410 g tin whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 x 410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
- 1 cup (250 ml) wholewheat flour
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup (125 ml) low-fat milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground mixed spice
- ½ small onion, finely chopped or grated (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
- Mix all the ingredients, except the oil, together in a large bowl.
- Heat a thin layer of the oil in a frying pan. Add tablespoonfuls of the mixture to the pan and fry on both sides until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the oil and mixture.
- Drain on paper towel and serve warm as a side dish.
- Pumpkin fritters: Substitute kernel corn and sweetcorn for 2-3 cups cooked and mashed pumpkin or butternut. Fry as above.
- Mixed veggie fritters: Replace the kernel corn with 1 carrot and 1 baby marrow, grated. Fry as above.
- Any leftovers are ideal for lunch the next day. Kids will love them as a snack in their lunch boxes.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book