Three bean salad
Everybody knows a three bean salad. This version uses less oil and sugar and is just as tasty.
Ready in40 mins plus standing for 1 hour or overnight
Serving sizeServes 6
- 200 g green beans, quartered
- 1 x 410 g tin butter beans or red kidney beans, drained
- 1 x 410 g tin baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped (see tip)
- 1 red or green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white or red grape vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- black pepper to taste
- Place green beans in 2 cm of water in a small pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until just tender, but still bright green. Drain well.
- Mix the green and tinned beans, onion and red pepper together.
- Mix the remaining ingredients. Stir into the bean mixture and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Serve as a side dish or salad.
- To soften the strong flavour of raw onion, cover with boiling water and allow to stand for a few minutes. Drain well and use as above.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book