These skewers are delicious braaied over the coals. Serve as a side dish with a plant-based protein, like the Carrot and bean patties.
Ready in1 hour 30 mins
Serving sizeServes 2 – 3 as a meal or 4 – 6 as a side dish
- 125 g button mushrooms, halved
- 3 baby marrows, thickly sliced
- 200 g baby tomatoes
- 1 green, yellow or red pepper, seeded and cut into large cubes
- 15-20 bay or fresh lemon or lime leaves (optional)
- 8-10 metal skewers or wooden kebab sticks, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive or canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tsp (10 ml) each chopped fresh thyme, origanum and parsley
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- Place mushrooms in a shallow dish and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for 8-10 minutes. This will prevent them from breaking apart when skewered. Drain well and pat dry.
- Thread mushrooms and the other veggies onto skewers or kebabs sticks, alternating the different kinds of veggies for a colourful end result. Add 1-2 bay, lemon or lime leaves in between veggies.
- Mix oil, lemon juice and rind, herbs and garlic together and season with pepper.
- Brush oil mixture onto skewers on all sides and allow to marinate for 30 minutes. Season skewers with salt.
- Grill over medium to low coals or until the veggies are just cooked, but not too soft. Brush with more of the marinade, while braaiing, if necessary.
- These kebabs can be served with the Pea and yoghurt dip or Cottage cheese dip (see tips). Serve with a protein-rich vegetarian dish for a balanced meal, like the Chunky roasted veggies with beans or Brown rice and lentils with green veggies.
- Add pineapple to the skewers for a sweet flavour – it is delicious with pork or chicken.
- A pinch of cumin or paprika or a chopped chilli can be added to the oil mixture if preferred. For a different flavour add 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely grated fresh ginger or add 1 tsp (5 ml) mild mustard to the oil mixture.
- Pea and yoghurt dip: Rinse 1 cup (250 ml) frozen peas in water. Drain well and blend with ¼ cup (60 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt and 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh mint until smooth. Season with about ½ tsp (2,5 ml) lemon juice or to taste and black pepper. Serve as a dip with these skewers or any fresh veggie sticks. Serves 4 – 6.
- Cottage cheese dip: Season 1 cup (250 ml) plain smooth low-fat cottage cheese with 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley and 2 tsp (10 ml) wholegrain mustard. Enjoy as a dip with these skewers or any other veggie dish. It is also delicious as a sauce with a salad, side dish or meat. Serves 6.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 4th edition: Braai
Download the recipe book