Baby marrow foil parcels
Prepare these parcels over the coals and enjoy with any meat, chicken or fish. Use veggies that will cook in the same amount of time and season with fresh ingredients like lemon and herbs for a healthy veggie side.
Ready in50 mins
Serving sizeServes 4
- 6-8 large baby marrows, halved and cut into quarters lengthwise
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 slice feta, cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 ml) fresh thyme leaves or chopped fresh parsley
- black pepper to taste
- 8 large pieces of heavy-duty foil (about 25 x 25 cm each)
- extra fresh thyme or parsley
- Place veggies and feta in a large mixing bowl. Add oil, lemon juice, herbs and pepper. Toss through to coat the veggies evenly.
- Place two pieces of foil together to make a double layer, with the shiny side towards the food. Divide veggie mixture between the pieces of foil and fold corners of foil together at the top, to make little closed-up parcels. Allow some space between the veggies and foil, to create space for the hot steam to move over the veggies.
- Place parcels over medium coals for 12-15 minutes or until the veggies are just cooked, but not too soft. Or place in cooler coals to the side of the braai and cook until done.
- Serve a parcel per person with more fresh herbs.
- Origanum will also be delicious with the veggies.
- Bake the parcels in the oven at 180 °C for about 15 minutes or until just cooked.
- Other veggies like potatoes, whole onions or small sweet potatoes can be brushed with oil, seasoned with lemon juice, herbs and pepper and wrapped in a double layer of foil. ‘Bake’ in the cooler coals until tender.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 4th edition: Braai
Download the recipe book