Banana bread is a great way to use overripe bananas. It is perfect for a lunch box snack for the kids.
Ready in1 hour 10 mins
Serving sizeMakes 1 loaf
- 5 tbsp (75 ml) sunflower oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ cup (180 ml) lukewarm low-fat milk
- 1½ cups (375 ml) cake flour
- ½ cup (125 ml) wholewheat flour
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Lightly grease a 1,5 litre bread tin.
- Beat the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla and stir in bananas.
- Dissolve bicarb in milk and stir into the egg mixture.
- Place the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir in the egg mixture.
- Spoon batter into the bread tin and bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Add 1 tsp ground nutmeg and 1 tbsp ground cinnamon or mixed spice to the batter.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book