Buttermilk marinated chops
South Africa loves to braai. Try this buttermilk marinade, instead of a shop-bought marinade.
Ready in1 hour, including 30 mins marinating time
Serving sizeServes 6
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
- ½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried parsley or 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 6 x 160 g pork chops, all fat removed
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Place pork chops in a shallow dish and pour marinade over.
- Stir through to coat chops with marinade. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Braai chops over medium coals for 5-8 minutes on each side or until cooked to your preference.
- Serve with Oven-baked chips and a salad.
- Pan-fry chops in a thin layer of oil for a few minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked.
- Chicken pieces, skin and fat removed, or lean lamb chops are also delicious with this marinade.
- Spicy marinade: Add 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp each ground coriander and cumin to the marinade.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book