Chicken and corn soup
This family recipe is a very popular meal with both kids and grown-ups.
Ready in1 hour 30 mins
Serving sizeServes 6 – 8
- 2 chicken breasts on the bone, skin and all fat removed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large potatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dried mixed herbs
- 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen whole kernel corn, rinsed (optional)
- 1 x 410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Cut chicken breasts in half with kitchen scissors or a sharp knife.
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry chicken, onions and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add potatoes, cumin, ground coriander, water and dried herbs. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Spoon out the chicken. Remove bones and shred meat.
- Stir chicken, milk, corn and sweetcorn into the soup and heat through.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper. Stir in fresh herbs and serve.
- Remember that the tinned sweetcorn contains salt, so don’t add salt at the table.
- Fish soup: Replace the chicken with leftover fish or hake. Stir into soup at step 5.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book