Creamy mashed potatoes
Mashed potato has its own creamy texture. Just a little bit of milk and oil is enough to make it smooth. Try out your own flavours with different herbs and spices.
Ready in45 mins
Serving sizeServes 8
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves of garlic, quartered
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley or chives
- ¼ cup (60 ml) low-fat milk
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Place potatoes, garlic, ½ tsp of the salt and some water in a pot. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain well and return potatoes and garlic to the pot.
- Mash with a potato masher and stir in the remaining ingredients to form a smooth mixture.
- Serve as a side dish with a meat dish of your choice.
- For a cheesy flavour stir in 2 tbsp buttermilk or plain smooth low-fat cottage cheese.
- Make mash with different veggies. A combination of potatoes and sweet potatoes or butternut and even carrot work well.
- Fresh or dried herbs can be added to mash, like origanum, parsley or thyme.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book