Family food at its best. This tasty all-in-one chicken dish is a wholesome meal, made with everyday ingredients, that everyone in the family will enjoy.
Ready in1 hour 20 mins
Serving sizeServes 6
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 4 chicken breasts on the bone, halved and skin and all fat removed
- 2 large carrots, thickly sliced
- 3 baby marrows, thickly sliced
- 1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) paprika or cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried origanum or 1 tbsp chopped fresh origanum
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 x 410 g tin baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 x 410 g tin butter or red kidney beans, drained (optional)
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add chicken and fry until golden brown.
- Add carrots, baby marrows, tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika and origanum.
- Add water, reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add tins of beans, salt and season with lemon juice and pepper. Heat through and stir in the parsley.
- Serve on small portions of pap, mealie rice or mashed potatoes.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book