Chicken pasta with broccoli
Kids love pasta as a meal, making this ideal for the whole family.
Ready in1 hour 30 mins
Serving sizeServes 6
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower or olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts on the bone, halved and skin and all fat removed
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried mixed herbs
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green or red pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cake flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat milk
- 200 g broccoli, cut in small pieces
- 2 tsp (10 ml) prepared mustard
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 250 g fusilli or any pasta shape of your choice
- Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a pot and fry chicken until golden brown. Reduce the heat and add herbs with water.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until cooked. Spoon out and remove bones. Keep liquid aside.
- Heat another 1 tsp of the oil in the same pot and fry onions, green pepper and garlic for a few minutes.
- Stir in the flour until absorbed. Slowly stir in the cooking liquid until it forms a sauce.
- Stir in the milk and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken, broccoli, mustard, ½ tsp of the salt and season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Simmer until the broccoli is just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add pasta and the other ½ tsp of salt. Cook until tender and drain well. Stir the remaining 1 tsp of oil into the warm pasta.
- Stir the sauce into the pasta and serve warm.
- Use leftover chicken or meat and add in step 6 or use 2 tins of tuna in brine, drained.
- Pasta bake: Spoon pasta mixture into an oven dish. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of grated cheddar cheese, and bake at 180 °C until golden brown.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book