This is so easy that you can get the kids to help.
Ready in1 hour 15 mins
Serving sizeServes 4
- 4 slices brown or wholewheat bread
- 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 x 170 g tins tuna in brine, drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika or to taste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Soak bread in milk until soft and mash with a fork.
- Mix bread and milk with eggs, tuna, onion, green pepper and salt.
- Season with parsley, lemon juice, pepper and half the paprika.
- Spoon into an oven dish and sprinkle with cheese and remaining paprika.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve immediately with a salad.
- Substitute the bread with 1-1 ½ cups of cooked brown rice and use as above. Leftover rice works well.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 1st edition
Download the recipe book