A salsa is a versatile accompaniment. There are so many ways to prepare and enjoy it. A variety of fresh veggies and fruit can be combined with seasonings like lemon or vinegar and fresh herbs, chilli or cumin seeds.
Ready in25 mins
Serving sizeServes 6
- ½ cucumber, cubed
- 1 red or green pepper, seeded and cubed
- 1 small pineapple, cubed
- 4 tsp (20 ml) red wine vinegar, lemon or lime juice
- 4 tsp (20 ml) olive or canola oil
- black pepper to taste
- 10 large fresh mint leaves, shredded
- OR add any of the following to the salsa:
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cubed
- ½ medium papaya, cubed
- 1 mango, cubed (when in season)
- 1-2 avocados, cubed (when in season)
- 1 chilli or to taste, finely chopped
- handful fresh parsley or coriander leaves
- pinch of toasted coriander or cumin seeds
- Gently mix all the ingredients together and season with more vinegar or lemon juice and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side dish or accompaniment with any meal.
- This salsa will be delicious served with leftover braaied chicken in wholewheat wraps.
One recipe, two salsas
A salsa is another way to incorporate colour and nutrients into a meal. And with one good recipe, you can choose between different types of salsas to enjoy with anything from fish over the coals, oven-roasted pork or even a homemade chicken burger.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 4th edition: Braai
Download the recipe book