Vegetarian chickpea salad
Chickpeas are a wonderful plant-based source of protein. This salad is so quick to prepare and the dressing makes it even more delicious.
Ready in30 mins
Serving sizeServes 4
- 2 medium tomatoes, cubed
- ¼ cucumber, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, quartered and sliced
- 1 slice feta, cubed
- 2 x 410 g tin chickpeas or beans of your choice, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, cubed (when in season)
- Salad dressing
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red or white grape vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola or olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried or 2 tsp (10 ml) fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) sugar
- ¼ tsp (1,2 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Salad: Mix all the salad ingredients together.
- Salad dressing: Mix all the ingredients together and season with lemon juice and pepper.
- Toss dressing through the salad. Keep the avocado separate and cut just before eating. Enjoy as a light meal or as lunch at work. Pack a portion of fruit for a more filling lunch.
- For a different flavour, use orange juice instead of the vinegar in the salad dressing. Leave out the sugar.
- This salad will be delicious with herbs like mint and parsley. Add fresh leaves to the salad just before serving.
- Beans like red kidney beans, butter beans and cannellini beans work well in this dish. Use a combination of beans and chickpeas or just beans, if preferred.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 2nd edition: Breakfast, Lunch and snacks
Download the recipe book