If you love avocado, then do prepare this delicious guacamole to enjoy as an accompaniment with any meal, spread on a sandwich or as a healthy dip with fresh veggies.
Ready in15 mins
Serving sizeServes 4 – 6 (250 ml)
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed with a fork or cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) finely grated lemon rind
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- 1 small ripe tomato, chopped
- ¼ tsp (1,2 ml) salt
- black pepper to taste
- Mix avocados, lemon juice, lemon rind, cumin, herbs and tomato. Add salt and season with pepper.
- Serve as part of a light lunch as a dip with fresh veggies like cucumber, peppers or carrot sticks. Dip toasted wholewheat pitas into the guacamole or spread onto any sandwich. Enjoy with fresh fruit and a handful of nuts or seeds.
- Add paprika, cayenne pepper or chilli to the guacamole for a spicier flavour.
- Grating lemon rind is easy, just use the small side of the grater and don’t grate any of the bitter, white pith.
- This guacamole is not only great as part of a lunch, but equally good with meat, fish or chicken. Serve it on wholewheat toast or a sandwich for a quick lunch.
- Stir chopped onion or spring onions into the mixture for added flavour. Alternatively, stir plain low-fat yoghurt into the guacamole to use as a dip.
- Other delicious dips to try are the Roasted chickpea dip and the Peanut butter dip.
Healthy homemade dips
Whether it's a healthy lunch box filler, a quick entertaining idea or something easy for the family to snack on. Try any one of Cooking from the hearts healthy homemade dip ideas.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 2nd edition: Breakfast, Lunch and snacks
Download the recipe book