Potato salad with herb dressing
Potato salad remains one of the most popular side dishes in South Africa. Everyone has their way to prepare it, but smothered in mayonnaise is not always the healthiest option. Do try this refreshing and flavourful version with lemon, mustard, fresh herbs and oil.
Ready in1 hour 15 mins
Serving sizeServes 8
- 750 g baby potatoes in the skin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 100 ml olive or canola oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice or to taste
- 2 tsp (10 ml) finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp (5 ml) mild mustard
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley (see tips)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh origanum (see tips)
- black pepper to taste
- ½ red or green pepper, seeded and cubed
- 1-2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped (optional)
- Place potatoes with 1 cup (250 ml) water and the salt in a pot. Bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are just cooked. Take care that they don’t boil too fast, as the potatoes will burst open and absorb too much water.
- Meanwhile, mix the oil, lemon juice and rind, mustard, herbs and black pepper together.
- Drain potatoes and slice each potato in half. Place in a large mixing bowl and toss with the dressing. Allow potatoes to cool in the dressing – this will allow them to absorb more flavour.
- Gently stir in peppers, top with the eggs (if using) and serve at room temperature.
- Any fresh herbs are delicious in a potato salad. Try fresh thyme or a combination of the parsley, origanum and thyme.
- Spicy version: add curry powder to taste to the dressing.
All you need to prepare this recipe
With just a few basic ingredients and natural seasonings, you can prepare this delicious potato salad.
This recipe is from Cooking from the heart, 4th edition: Braai
Download the recipe book